Monday, June 2, 2008

Chicken Grease (March 2007)

So here's what got me thinking of making a blog...
Yesterday morning it was raining. Mike said he would take the boys to school (apparently they will play in the rain and in puddles, but cannot walk to school in it). On the way there his car stalled several times, so he made it back home and took the van to work. After work he decided to take the frequently stalling car to the gas staion for a fill up, and--go figure-- it stalled. At the station, at the pump.
Meanwhile.....
At home we had just finished dinner when Mike left, and no sooner had I sat down on the toilet then... Riley starts screaming, Brennan is yelling "Mom! Riley's bleeding all over!" I leap up and run out of the bathroom to find Ry holding his hands up to his face and blood pouring out all over himself and the carpet. "Get over the sink!" I yell, and Ry grabs my hand- his hand is covered in grease! "What happened?" I ask. Brennan proceeds to tell me that Riley thought it would be fun to put the grease left in the frying pan on his hands and slide on the wood floor. Unfortunately, his hands slipped forward too fast and he did a face plant. Right as I'm gathering information and trying to stop the nose bleed, the phone rings. It's Mike- can I come and get him? His car stalled at the pump.
I reply- "It'll be a minute... Riley has chicken grease on his hands and his nose is bleeding!" By now the dog has licked up the grease from the floor (and the blood), so I put Ry on the couch and give him a rag for the blood and some ice for his nose, which is now swollen and red. I go get Mike, who then calls John to come and tow him back to our house. Of course, when they get there the car starts right up and Mike drives it home. John is a little bummed he didn't get to tow anyone, so we invited him in for a beer. The evening ended with nice conversation, a few beers, and a bag of Hershey's Milk Chocolate Truffles.